Welcome to the Cattlemen’s and the sport of Team Penning and Sorting!
Here is quick description of the sport if you are unfamiliar.
- There are 30 head of Cattle at the cow end of the Arena, each with a number on their back, three of each number from 0-9. The team consists of 3 riders, all riders are rated from 1-7. There are classes to accommodate every level of rider:
- a. Open
- b. 10,8,5
- c. Senior Youth(13-16yrs)
- d. Junior Youth (12 & under)
- e. Lead Line (for the youngest of penners not ready for Jr. youth).
The Alberta Cattlemen’s offers 2 Sorting classes, the Pro/Am/Novice and 3+. There are no draw teams in Sorting.
- 1. The Pro/Am/Novice (Pro is a #5 or #6 rated rider, Amateur is a #3 or #4 rated rider, Novice is a #1 or #2 rated rider) Each team must have these components or less, Pros must ride with both an Am & Novice, 2 Amateurs must ride with a novice, or 3 novice riders may ride together.
- 2. The 3+ is run concurrently with the Pro/Am/Novice. Any team can enter as long as 2 of the riders combined team rating =3 or less. A 1 can ride with another 1 or 2 and any other rider as the third partner.
- There are 10 head of cattle at the cow end of the arena, the team must sort in order all 10 head in less than 60 seconds. If a wrong numbered cow crosses between the panel to the pen end of the arena, the team will get an ‘out of sort’ and no time will be allotted. As well as if a cow gets back to the herd, the team will get an out of sort. Alberta Cattlemen’s alternates for each show, single gate sorting and 2 gate sorting.
- Pro/Am/Novice is a max of 4 rides, 3+ is a max of 4 rides, no draw in sorting
- Open $55.00/per rider ($10.00 paid 100%)
- #10 & #8 $45.00/per rider
- #5 $40.00/per rider
- Youth classes $5.00/per rider
- PAN Sorting $40.00/per rider
- 3+ Sorting $30.00/per rider
Be sure to get your entries in before the Monday 6:00pm prior to the show.
To enter a show, go to www.epenner.com choose Alberta Cattlemen’s and enter teams!